Podcasting, while less talked about than video, is a unique way to spread content, engage customers and attract links. There are many easy-to-use podcasting tools available, most are inexpensive and come with minimal learning curves. I download podcasts to my smartphone and listen while I walk or drive, it’s a great way to catch up on what’s happening, take a short class or hear about a subject in-depth.
If you have a lot of written content, consider turning it into a podcast and adding to spots like iTunes and the niche podcast directories as an additional way to broaden your brand’s reach and attract links. Here are some resources and tools to help you use podcasting as a link building tool.
1. Podcasting Legal Guide on Creative Commons. “The purpose of this guide is to provide a general roadmap of the legal issues specific to podcasting…and covers US-based legal questions only.” Know the legalese before you get started, avoid issues as you record.
2. How To Start Your Own Podcast (Step by Step) Easy to follow guide detailing how to set and broadcast, types of equipment and submitting your podcast to iTunes.
3. PodCast411 This is a directory of directories, sites listed here do not charge you to list your podcast.
TIP => Have a new tool or service you’re promoting? Send a press release to the podcast owners and offer a sneak peek or discount code to their listeners if they have you as a guest.
4. Audacity. Considered the most popular open source digital audio editor, Audacity is compatible across Windows, OSX (Apple), Linux and more. Audacity only provides functions for capturing and editing, there are no publishing options. Free.
5. BlogTalkRadio – Host your own live talk radio show with any phone and a computer or listen to thousands of new shows created daily, can be posted directly to Facebook. Paid/offers a free trial. (search on “BlogTalkRadio coupon code” for discounts)
6. SnapKast – A Windows desktop software solution for fast, easy MP3 audio and MPEG-4 video content creation and delivery. Sessions shared online, delivered via RSS podcasts, and played back on any computer or mobile device. Free demo, one paid option.
7. Hipcast – Create and manage audio and video podcasts from the cloud, post directly to your blog, to iTunes, and into their large on-site directory. Has iPhone App, record and publish new episodes straight from the App. Paid/offers a free trial.
8. PodOMatic – Create a podcast and mini cast (adding images to podcast) from their site, upload to their directory. Easiest service to use, no bells and whistles, however. Basic service is free, upgrades available. Trail offer available.
9. TalkShoe – The host picks a topic and launches a community call where up to 250 people can participate. Guests join in via computer or telephone, they can listen or join the discussion. When the call is finished, TalkShoe records the call as a podcast and makes it available to the host. The podcast can be added to your blog, website, or Facebook via a widget plus added to iTunes and podcast directories. Free and paid plans.
10. Podbean – Has two options, one for Publishers (paid) and one for Subscribers (free). Publishers can create professional podcasts in minutes without programming knowledge. The Podbean interface allows you to upload, publish, manage and promote your podcasts with just a few clicks of the mouse. Subscribers – Store your podcast subscriptions online, access from any computer and add new subscriptions from anywhere. You can also download and play podcasts on your mobile phone.
Interested in having more tools and resources? Check out our Podcast Tools page in our Link Building Tool Directory.
Debra Mastaler is President of Alliance-Link, a link building company in business since 2001 focused on providing relevant lists of sources and media outlets to content developers.When she's not working for Alliance-Link, Debra can be found refinishing furniture or working in her garden.
Latest posts by Debra Mastaler (see all)
- How To Repurpose Old Content With New Images For More Links - May 7, 2017
- Ten Podcasting Tools and Resources For Link Building - May 7, 2017
- How To Use Flattery To Snag An Influencer - May 5, 2017